Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Small Towns

Visiting Wyoming is interesting. Consider for example that the entire state of Wyoming has only 500,000 people in population for the entire state and I come from a city in Arizona (mesa) which population was over 400,000 when I left. Lets just say Laramie was very small. It was so small we visited all the city parks in one afternoon.


The university was interesting. The city is built around the university. So in other words we can say the university has its own elementary school so the student teachers can teach their without having to travel over 100 miles in any direction to student teach.


The Law School was the nicest building on campus. I was happy to visit but the town was so small I would have to leave the town in order to change my mind about attending school there. Not that I did.


I am not trying to insult small town folks I am calling it reverse Beverly hillbillies. I came from the big city to small town life and the culture shock will be exact opposite of all the people whom come to the big city to get ahead. I will be going to a city of 15,000 to further my professional life.



OK Karen typing now. I will tell from the perspective of our kids. "Were going on a trip" The first trip was to McDonald's in Cedar city. Then they though we were going home. yeah right. Next was a trip to get gas, sonic and "go pottie" in Provo. Then we got Ice cream from Little America. for those wondering yes it is still .50 a cone. nice deal in the middle of no where. On to the Hotel.
They thought this was the coolest place ever. We paid an extra $8 and got a room with 3 queen beds. Totally worth every penny. Then after jumping on all the beds we went swimming in the indoor heated pool. There is nothing like swimming for a treat for my kids. On to a restaurant that I remember as a kid. Perkins. mostly the name because there was a family in my ward growing up etc. Well the food took forever, and the service was terrible, as well as the food. Not a good impression with Chris.
Then we went to Walmart (Kmart is the only other option that we found). Good some fruit and some other necessities that we forgot. Is it ever really a trip with out forgetting something? Back to the hotel and on to bed. Well that was the plan. Chatty Cathy aka Annmarie would not stop talking. Oh my goodness!!!! how does anyone ever sleep in the same room as their kids!!!! I think she was the last one asleep out of everyone. I knew she could talk but really. The next day was the tour of the campus, playing at the park(s) and Chris meeting with 2 of the 3 Deans, along with an institute instructor. Then we were going to play dinner safe and eat at Subway but there was this ad in the hotel thingy for a local restaurant. Shari's I think not sure if it is a chain but wow 180 change from the previous night. Great service good food and the kids ate all they got and there was also a great desert. OK so food really is where my heart is you should all know this by new especially when I'm preggos. Went back to the hotel went to bed got up and left to come home at midnight (WY time) it is so nice to drive though the night. Sleeping kids, less traffic etc. So we all finally woke (except driver) when we stopped for gas south of Provo. Chris was trying to put in a DVD after breakfast and we discovered something terrible!!!! the DVD player was broken!!!!
It had lasted us a little over a year plus 4 months. So worth ever penny that we paid for it. Chris did a wonderful job entertaining the kids as we drove the last 5 hours or so. Jeffrey is turning into a daddy's boy!!!! Finally !!!!


Things I learned on this trip.


1. I love my van!!!!! it runs great, now has great brakes (thanks Steve), and is so easy to move from the front to the back etc.


2. Laramie is a small town. I told Chris that if we go I will never shop at walmart or Kmart ever again after 3 years of having no choice.


3. I need to sleep in a different room than my kids. I love them but when they see me they think they need to sleep with me. Plus there is no alone time. I need a break from the kids to love them more and the bathroom does not quite fit that mold.


4. Chris really wants to go back to school. So those who want us to stay in Vegas start praying that UNLV has people that do not accept and then accept Chris there.


5. I love Chris. I know this is silly but when he was playing with the kids the ride home it was so cute and made him look so cute too.
6. I am a terrible photo taker. I took the camera, but totally forgot to take any photos. There were some really cute moments too. Someday I will learn sorry.
A side note I found something on my door from someone who reads my blog. Just wanted to say thanks it made my day. Wish you would have put your name so I can say thanks in person. Thanks a million.

6 comments:

AMY said...

Hey Karen,
Congrats on the pregnancy and getting into Law School. Big decisions! We'll pray for Vegas since we are there a couple times a year and can see you!

Amanda said...

Three years isn't that long. It would go quick and you could handle small town life for that long. Once Chris is a lawyer, you can go anywhere. It is a tough decision though. We spent a lot of time fasting, praying and attending the temple to make our final grad school decision. Best of luck! We'll keep you in our prayers.

Jess Root said...

know what you mean about the portable dvd players. We have had ours since thanksgiving and I would have paid double what I did for them. They are golden!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that the trip went well. The Perkins in Perinton - same thing - bad service and not so good food! You should have looked for a Friendlys!!!

I understand about the DVD Player - ours died when we got to Tenneessee - luckly we borrowed the allens and only had to go one day without movies

Kari

Kurt, Amy and kids! said...

Karen! Wow! How exciting! You got some big things going on here! I can't wait to hear what you decide!

Britain said...

Add our prayers to all those above.