Tuesday, June 21, 2011

7 for a super hero

My dad has always been one of my hero’s for many reasons. Here are 7 I could think of.


1.      He was my biggest cheerleader. He was always at my athletic events as well as many other events. He never told me what I did wrong or what I could have done better. He told me how great I did and that he was proud of me. I am so ever thankful for that! I still remember running around the track on field day and him yelling for me. GO KAREN!

2.      Our talks – We had many talks about various things sitting by the wood burning stove. It was wonderful. I don’t remember much but I remember he was interested in what I did and what I was learning. I remember feeling the spirit many times in our talks. 

3.      Listening – Dad has done this with many many people. He is a great listener and often has sound but simple advice. I am ever thankful for this. Hopefully I can be someone what close to him on this someday

4.      Spirit – My dad has always tried his best to have  the spirit in his life. He has done the small things that he preaches, prayer scripture study and FHE. It helps me to realize that it is the small things we do that effect our spirituality

5.      Small things – I think I remember hearing my Dad say at one point his favorite calling was being in Nursery. He had this calling when I was in HS so he was not a newlywed. I learned that no calling is beneath us. I also learned that it really is the small things that matter. My senior quote in my yearbook was  “People think they are too big to do little things, often they are too little to be asked to do big things.” This quote is my Dad

6.      Sense of humor – I will relate 2 of my favorite personal memories of my Dad in this area (which I’m sure I will suffer the wrath of later J )  1. The morning after my Junior Prom I came down stairs. My Dad was sitting at the kitchen table and he turns towards me and says smile if it was good. He was referring to the fact that he knew I got my first kiss the night previous. I smiled. 2. My parents were in the kitchen and my Dad says if I go outside and catch you kissing a boy like this (he pecks my mom on the lips) you’re going to be in trouble. If I go outside and see you kissing a boy like this (he French kissed my mom) you’re going to be in the same amount of trouble.  

7.      Love of my mom – I have never know anyone who loves their spouse more (hopefully Chris and I someday). Whenever my mom leaves to visit grand-kids, or anyone and is gone from the house for more than a day my Dad is missing her sorely. He never speaks unkindly of her and I have never heard him raise his voice at her. Only at us children when we were being disrespectful to her. She is the love of His life and anyone who knows them knows this. I love that this is the relationship my parents have. I was able to see an almost perfect marriage growing up. How spoiled I was because of this, I know that my parents love each other.

I am so thankful for the wonderful man my father is and was. I had many friends growing up who’s fathers were not members or inactive. I realized how lucky I was when a few of them came over and received a blessing from my Dad. How lucky I am to have a Dad who can give a blessing at a moment’s notice. Who supports me and my family in our dreams and goals. Who wants nothing but the best for his family. I am so thankful for a man  who knew that money was not the most important things. He realized that attending sporting events of his children was so much more important. It was more important because in the long run  I don’t care that I didn’t wear the cool clothes but I can tell you my dad was at every single one of my games for 3 years of high school. He let me know I was more important than money. Thank you Dad, thank you for the wonderful example you have set for me. Thank you for listening to the spirit, thank you for wanting to have 9 and not 8 kids.

No comments: