Tuesday, February 19, 2013

An Amazing week!

1. First off This trip would never have been possible without our amazing friends! Thanks to the Allison's, Finch's and Tidwell's who watched our kids. To the Flints who took us to the airport and took out our trash, the Adam's who probably thought they spent way to much time with us. And the Coleman's who have been where we are and showed kindness (and let Chris have some fun with their boys). and to Tina who picked us up from the airport. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

There will probably not be numbers today just photos and explanations  We got in to DC Tuesday night and here was our go-cart err rental car. It was soooo tiny. I'm not sure why it actually had 4 doors.



We became experts at riding the metro. I must say it was not as bad or scary as I thought it was going to be. I am so glad we both brought. our running shoes.

Wednesday we did lots of touristy things. 

we saw the capital from a distance



We did lots of the Museums's
Natural history - the animals and the gem (The hope Diamond etc) were pretty cool
Air and Space - we did this on 2 days and actually took photos the 2nd day.
American History

And the National Archives
It was great too see the important Documents that make our country what it was and what we hope it will always be.

then we hit the mall.
The Washington Monument was a bit sad since we could not go up ( I have vague memories of doing this as a kid) 

The WWII memorial. It was very very well done.












 we did the other war Memorial's as well. All were very nicely done.

The on to One of my most favorite places ever. The Lincoln Memorial. I remember when I went as a kid there was a different feeling there. As an adult it was still there. What a great man.



The view from Lincoln to Washington. 


 Thursday was more sightseeing. We took a tour of the Capital Building thanks to Harry Ried's office. We didn't get any photos because I don't think that way.

 we "saw" the Supreme Court building. 

We went to see Ford'd theater, the house across the street where he died and we also saw the boarding house (that is now a restaurant) where the assassination was planned

The best part of the day was seeing the Tomb of the unknown soldier. and all of Arlington. It was a sweet reminder of the cost that people have paid to preserve our liberties.

Thursday night we actually went to the conference that we came for. It was a J. Reuben Clark Law Society 25th annual Conference. We had a great time and learned lots. (Chris probally more than I).

Friday was all conference. We got to hear Justice Clarence Thomas speak at Lunch. Then hear Elder Holland speak before dinner.


We had dinner with our friends the Coleman's that night at an amazing restaurant in Chinatown. For those who know me. I ate grilled lettuce and tried some scampi. I must say I might actually be starting to grow up. maybe just a bit.

We stayed with a wonderful Host family. We could not have been more blessed to stay with anyone else. They fit us perfectly.


Saturday we had more conference in the morning then did a few more sights. 

We actually got a close up of the Capital 

got photos of Amelia Earhart's plane. 

After that we headed to the Holocaust Mesuem. I cannot think of a way to describe this place. It did a very good job and showing what happened. We were not able to finish the tour due to the emotional of it. At one point there is a huge spot of shoes that were worn by people in the camps. The smell was so overwhelming that I thought I was going to throw up. It was a very "heavy" place to go. It reminded us of what happens when good people stand by and do nothing. Also this is what happens where people are not accepting of religions. It made the morning panel of religious freedoms all the more relevant.

After that we headed back to our host family's house. We were so blessed that they litterally live right next to the Washington DC temple. Chris and I got to go in and do a session. Such a wonderful blessing.




a view from our host family's front porch.


We returned Sunday morning. The kids were excited to see us (well all but Henry). They had fun while we were gone. Will and Jeffrey got to go roller skating. Will learned what happens when you fall on your mouth. After going to the dentist yesterday His front top tooth will have a fake bottom half to it in 6 weeks.

WE had a great time and didn't miss the kids until Saturday. It was so nice to go be just adults. It also makes you realize how much we do really love each other and our kids.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Oh, SO fun! I'm glad you guys were able to do this! ; )