We have made "the Decision." NO we are not Lebron James. But we just made one of the hardest decisions we have made in a long long time.
Here is the story.
Chris decided in between fall and spring semesters he was going to apply for the LLM (masters of law (in Latin ) in Taxation. He applied to a few schools. In February he and I went to a J Reuben Clark Law Society convention in DC. It was hosted at Georgetown (a school Chris applied at) He visited the admissions office while we were there. On the trip home he commented that he felt either a job or the LLM would be the right call. Shortly after returning we heard from Boston University that Chris was accepted there. We were excited that he got in somewhere but where waiting to hear from the top 2 schools. NYU and Georgetown.
While waiting Chris started to apply for some jobs in Iowa. He got an interview up in a small town of Algona, IA. we both went as they wanted us both to come. it was a great small town with some wonderful people. The kind we have come to love here in the mid-west. He told us we should know in a week. a week and a half later we got a letter. It said he had not made final decisions yet.
The following Tuesday evening Chris got a call from Bob (the lawyer in Algona), he was offering Chris the job. Chris was extremely excited I was heart broken. Why was I heart broken? I love love love where I live. I love the people around me. I love my part time jobs. I have met wonderful people who I was so sad to leave. After praying we felt it was a good choice and Chris called Bob back and accepted the job. Within an hour Chris got an email from Georgetown telling him he had been accepted. He was excited but was pretty set on going to Algona.
To be honest I was angry. I was angry with Heavenly Father because I had told him what I really wanted and it seemed like he was telling me no. At the time I was preparing a lesson for church about pride. I cannot tell you how much that lesson stung me to my core. I prayed hard to have the right attitude and to be willing to do what was best for our family. Only after taking council from Chris to call my Dad did peace finally come to me. It came by hearing him talk about life and how important somethings are. I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to have a calming influence like that in my life.
Chris randomly posted on Facebook that he had gotten into Georgetown. which prompted a message from Owen (bro-in-law) he told Chris he thought getting more education was a great option. it opens lots more doors for you. Then he decided to call Rob (my bro) and get his thoughts. Then came a week of serious conflicts. When ever we talked it seemed we were always on the wrong page. Regardless of how one felt at one point it was always different from the other. Go to Algona, just Chris go to DC, nothing seemed right.
Thursday night our friend Chad Allison came over at our request and gave Chris a Priesthood blessing. The point I remembered was that we would have better direction once we went to the temple. He also offered his wife to come over at 3:45 am to watch our kids while we went down to Kansas City Temple.
I tried hard to have sincere prayers. Asking for piece for whatever answer we received On Friday I went and picked up Kyle and Ginnie's child to babysit for the day. Kyle is a lawyer, and asked about what was going with Chris. So I explained our dilemma to him and he offered some great advice He said as someone who is an employer call the boss and be candid with him. Tell him all that is going on and see how he responds. If he is upset etc. that is not someone you want to work for anyway. I called Chris and told him the advice. Chris called Bob. He was surprised by what Chris told him about Georgetown. He told him he would call him back. With in 2 hours Bob was back on the phone with Chris. He said I'm going to talk to you like I would to my son. Get the education. If you want to come here next may you will have a job. (do you see why I love people here in Iowa!!!) This was a huge moment of calm.
Friday afternoon I started looking a possible places for us as a family to live in the DC area. I just wanted to see what the cost would really be for us. There were some expensive places but some that seemed almost do-able. At this point I was 75% for sending Chris alone. I emailed Heather (sis in law) for her take on living away from her spouse (Jeff is military). She responded with a wonderfully honest and heartfelt letter. This is what made me think about going with Chris (it would be cheaper for the kids and I to stay here and just send Chris). While in DC we saw one of our former members of the Stake Presidency (and institute teacher) in Vegas. I looked at the institute website and discovered it was him who I was supposed to contact.
Chris and I walked the boy home we were watching on Friday and Chris talked to Kyle and thanked him. On our way home we ran into another good friend who used to live in VA. She was excited for us and said she would be willing to contact friends there to see if they know anything. We told her we would let her know.
Sleep seemed to be terrible for both Chris and I Friday night. We both got very little. The drive down we mostly talked about if he went to Georgetown where he would live, if the kids and I would be OK here without him. Which airports southwest flew into.
I will always have a special place in my heart for the Kansas City temple. It is absolutely beautiful. It is so simply decorated yet it is amazing. I went in expecting to get a strong quick answer. Well it didn't. I was impressed to remember things in my patriarchal blessing. Then I was impressed that I needed to do what was best for the Lord. After making these realizations I received an answer of what we needed to do. When Chris and I talked in the celestial room after the session I wanted him to go first. Why? just because I wanted to make sure we were finally on the same page. He said I think we need to go to DC as a family. That was the exact same impression I had felt. I cannot tell you the joy and piece that came to me once we were finally on the same page.
So in August we will be headed for Georgetown as a family. Excited for our new adventure
I am so thankful for many many things today. Thanks to anyone who gave input, watched kids, prayed or gave us things to thing about. I'm thankful for a wonderful Heavenly Father who forgives stubbornness, and gives us the Holy Ghost to help us better understand what we need to do.
2 comments:
So excited for you guys! You won't be too far from us, and I love DC, so hopefully I will get up there during the year you are in DC. Congrats!
Excited for your new adventure! I admire your willingness to move somewhere for a year. Short-term moves are not easy (I speak from many experiences). But you're lucky to have it in a great city with lots to see. You'll have a fabulous time!!
Post a Comment